He drove it out to the end of the lane, got out, walked around, and said, "Move over."
I Was Driving Before I Could See Over the Wheel |
A 1961 Ford with three on the tree, a block of wood bolted to the clutch pedal, and a father who moved over and said one word. |
|
|
News for the America we remember |
I was twelve the first time they let me take the truck down the lane. Not on the road. The lane was gravel, a quarter mile, and it only went from the barn to the county road and back. There was nothing to hit and nobody to worry about, which was the only reason they let me. |
The truck was a 1961 Ford, three on the tree, and the seat was so far forward my knees came up level with the steering wheel. My father had bolted a block of wood to the clutch pedal so my short leg could push it down. I am not making that up. A piece of two-by-four, bolted on, so I could reach. |
He drove it out to the end of the lane and stopped and got out and walked around to my side and said, "Move over." I did. He said, "Now." And that was the whole lesson plan. |
I ground the gears for a while. The three on the tree is a column shifter, and you move the lever on the steering column, and if you don't get the timing right it makes a sound like somebody stepping on a cat. I made that sound four or five times. My father didn't say anything. He had his hand on the dashboard and his eyes on the lane and he let me figure it out. |
The trick was the clutch. You let it out slow, not all at once. When I finally got it moving, in first, the truck lurched and then caught and we rolled, and I remember how that felt, the whole machine coming alive under me because I had told it to. |
I drove to the end and stopped and turned it around, which took three tries because the turning radius was terrible and I was terrified of the ditch. Then I drove back. My father said, "Good enough." That was high praise from him. After that I drove the lane whenever there was a reason, which was most days, because there was always something to haul, and the world had not yet decided that twelve was too young to be trusted with |
|
|
Home mixers weren’t built for bread. We fixed that. |
|
|
Ever tried to make dough in your regular mixer? |
The results aren’t pretty: Clumpy texture. Stodgy bread. Overheated motors. |
So, we took the same dough-making technology that professional bakers have used for decades and packed it into a countertop machine. |
Introducing Ooni Halo Core. |
Its secret? Spiral mixing. |
In a regular mixer, a single hook chases your dough around the bowl — like someone trying to knead with one hand tied behind their back. |
But in a spiral mixer, three synchronised attachments fold and stretch dough as one, replicating the precise and powerful dual-kneading action of a skilled baker’s hands. |
The result: Stronger dough, softer loaves and a higher rise. |
See it in action |
In partnership with |
 |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
© 2026 Old Glory Report |
1001 Cathedral St
Baltimore, MD 21201, United States |
Unsubscribe |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment