Wednesday, June 1, 2016

THE BEADING GEM'S JOURNAL



beading gem's journal

How to Make Your Own Bracelet Mandrel from a Baseball Bat

I still don't have a proper bracelet mandrel. I did get some car exhaust piping from my local hardware store to help me shape and pound wire into bangles.  But a tapered one sure would be handy to do the same plus help make a small bangle larger. I never thought about baseball bats until friend and reader Aims sent me this cool tutorial.


The instructor John Ahr shows how to saw up a baseball bat to create a bracelet mandrel complete with a tang so it can be held in a vise.

 


It does require some work to get this done plus proper saws.  My wood working uncle made me a wooden stepped ring mandrel.  Maybe I could ask him if he could make one for me?

But it seems from this forum posting that some jewelry makers just use the bat as is.  One uses a youth aluminum baseball bat.  Another has been using a hickory pick ax handle for years.  If the wallet is a bit thin, consider looking out for unwanted baseball bats at yard sales.

Before You Go:


______________________________
Original Post by THE BEADING GEM
Jewelry Making Tips - Jewelry Business Tips 
 
FeedBlitz Top Slot
powered byad choices


Contact MePast IssuesJoin This ListUnsubscribe

   


Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment